Sunday, May 18, 2008

గులేరి_manek


Guleri and Manek

" I will come with you a part of the way," said Manek.
Guleri was happy as they set out. Under her dupatta she hid Manek's flute.
After the village of Khajapur, the road descended steeply to Chamba. There Guleri took out the flute from beneath the dupatta and gave it to Manek. She took Manek's hand in hers and said "Come now, play your flute." But Manek, lost in thought, paid no heed. "Why don't you play your flute?" asked Guleri, coaxingly. Manek looked at her sadly. Then, putting the flute to his lips, he blew a strange anguished wail of sound.
"Guleri, do not go away," he begged her. "I asked you again, do not go this time." he handed her back the flute, unable to continue.
"But why?" she asked. "You come over on the day of the fair and we will return together. I promise you, I will not stay behind."
Manek didnot ask her again.
"It seems to me as if you had passed the blue bell wood. You do not hear anything that I say."
"You are right, Guleri. I cannot hear any thing that you are saying to me," replied Manek with a deep sigh.
Both of them looked at each other. Neither understood the other's thoughts.
"I will go now. you had better return home. You have come a long way," said Guleri gently.
"You have walked all this distance. Better get on the mare," replied Manek.
"Here take your flute."
"You take it with you."
"Will you come and play it on the day of the fair?"asked Guleri with a smile. The Sun shone in her eyes. Manek turned his face away. Guleri perplexed, shrugged her shoulders and took the road to Chamba. Manek returned to his home.

Amrita Pritam.

No comments: